I accidently put a quart of automatic transmission fluid in my car instead of oil. What do I need to do. I have not run the car yet.

7 Responses to “I put automatic transmission fluid in my engine instead of oil by mistake, what do i need to do now?”

1. Dennis says:

not to worry . atf has more detergent than 10w30 , it will clean the engine a bit more and last until your next oil change.

2. rich says:

Go get the oil changed you can drive it that far.

3. Hank says:

Dennis is right but don’t make a habit of it. There is such a thing as to clean an engine if it has over 80,000 miles on it. Trans. fluid is thinner and will burn more easily than motor oil so check the level once a week to see if you are running low.

4. Love The Beast. Gas Tires Oil says:

Actually, people used to put ‘some’ transmission fluid in the engine oil right before an oil change because trans fluid helps clean the gunk out.
    I wouldn’t keep it in there but I wouldn’t have any problem with driving it for a couple days then getting an oil change.

5. z.lake says:

Don’t drive the car until you have changed the oil & filter to the right grade & weight of oil for you car. If you or someone you know can’t change the oil where it sits have the car towed to a mechanic to do it.

6. andrew says:

I’m at a loss, there are a few possibilities but im unsure if they’re safe and would work. 1st safests and most likely would work would be to check to see if you have a “free tow” from your insurance company, inform them of the situation, get it towed to a shop, and have do and oil change with added additives. Im not completely sure on the compatibility of it all. but it is an oil it just has different variances in thickness and flow rate.

7. ASE_mechanic says: